[Sugar-devel] acti-plications: write once, run anywhere?

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-1 at silbe.org
Fri Jan 21 05:45:09 EST 2011

Excerpts from Erik Blankinship's message of Fri Jan 21 02:58:58 +0100 2011:

> 1. On a dual boot machine, probably an xo, where activities are installed
> into /home/user/Activities/ where useris probably *always *olpc

No, it isn't. XOs aren't the only machines running Sugar. And, FWIW,
there's no dual-boot on the XO: Sugar and Gnome are desktop environments,
not operating systems. You can switch between them at run time.

The last time I tried it, SoaS used "liveuser" as user name. On my own XO
(running Debian Squeeze instead of an OLPC build), the user name is
sascha.silbe. On multi-user systems (e.g. LTSP) you'll have several
different users with different user names. And these are just the most
common configurations...

> 2. Sugar as an application in gnome (within a Xephyr window) where
> activities can be installed.... a few places, including
> /home/user/Activities/

sugar-emulator is meant for development, not regular usage. It doesn't
affect locations (for executables, data, activities, etc.) in any way,
however.

[...]

Your remaining questions have probably already been addressed in my

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/