[Sugar-devel] Sugar TOAST instructions

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Jan 20 08:57:20 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 07:51:11AM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:
> El 20/01/11 04:49, Aleksey Lim escribió:
> > On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:01:45AM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:
> >> 01 Build Sugar packages from source and test them
> >> 02 Build a TOAST 4.0 or 4.5 from said packages into ISO for booting from USB
> > It depends on the way you like to follow..
> >
> > Sweets is the system (in design, but not yet fully implemented)
> > exactly about not using "regular" packaging in sugar workflow.
> >
> > It will look like:
> >
> > * in your software project (sugar activity/library/sugar-core)
> >    you create recipe file[1] that looks like, eg, rpm spec
> >    it describes dependencies for your software, how to build it, etc
> > * using [2], you can build your software locally (ie, w/o any packaging
> >    at all)
> > * you can upload sources tarball with your project (and recipe file)
> >    to bazaar.sugarlabs.org (which is patched version of OBS[3], ie,
> >    universal system to build/host packages for all (in theory) deb/rpm
> >    based distros).
> > * bazaar.sugarlabs.org will build
> >    * 0install "packages", that is the primal packaging method in sweets
> >    * it is possible to build regular packages for rpm/deb distros that
> >      are supported on bazaar

> Most interesting.
> Will I be able to build these distro packages myself? (my uplink
> connection is mediocre)

If you are not in a hurry, I'm just in the process of changing it..
Eventually, anyone can build native packages by using obs web ui ([3])
or python client (osc).

For not wide internet bandwidth, sweets/0install/obs will/does support
vcs urls, so it will be possible to upload only information about new
tag/branch, obs will download this and build.

> > What I did for Trisquel [5], is the deb packages that were built using
> > intermediate distro support in sweets, it is not yet fully implemented.
> > The plan is having ready-to-use initial implementation at 2011-04-06 [6].
> That is a very accurate! Then what would be the shortest path to
> building my own packages I can use for my TOAST?
> >> but when I run "sweets --deep clone sugar" i get:
> >> /Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module":
> >> libpk-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> >> directory
> >> WARNING:root:Trying mirror server for feed
> >> http://sweets.sugarlabs.org/sweets
> >> /
> >> followed by a dialog box saying:
> >> /Unknown scheme in download URL 'git://git.sugarlabs.org/0sugar/sweets.git'
> >> /
> >> Aleksey, I can you help me on how to build these packages from sources?
> > Hmm.. I can't reproduce this issue in my Lucid VM (which should be the
> > same as Trisquel-4.0 in case of using sweets). Could you post outputs of
> > sweets.sh execution? btw, what is your system, Trisquel-4?
> >
> Yes I'm running 4.0 Taranis.
> Here's a pastebin of the full output of sweets:
> http://pastebin.com/fNPkTvEr

Thats strange..
in fact there is no need in using 0launch to start sweets, sweets.sh
intalls sweets (and patched 0install) and create symlinks for PATH in
~/.local/bin

--
Aleksey