[Sugar-devel] [OLPC-AU] Software Update and HTTP proxies

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jan 19 21:26:46 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:31:29PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 20 January 2011 09:44, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 08:51 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> >> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:53:15AM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > Ok, you can define the proxy in .gconf/system/http_proxy with gnome or
> > gconftool-2 but the variables don't enter sugar's environment.
>
> Thinking aloud: maybe we could have a script that reads the gconf
> value and duplicates it as an environment variable?

As Jerry says, yes.

> >> In environments with the XS School Server, a transparent proxy can be
> >> configured. ?That's one of the main benefits, in my opinion.
>
> That is true. However, most schools don't have an XS. We want this to
> change, but it'll take time.

My response was background information for why Sugar doesn't bother with
proxies.  The other OLPC deployments either have unfettered internet or
transparent proxies.  Opaque proxies are kinda rare, and a sign of late
adoption of recent technology by the school systems you serve.  NSW TAFE
suffers the same, FWIW.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/