[Sugar-devel] HTML5 video in Browse

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 05:28:19 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 15:27 +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>> What is the status of HTML5 video support in Browse? I'm using version
>> 108.4. Testing with the videos linked from
>> http://double.co.nz/video_test/, most don't start when I press the
>> Play button.
>
> Dextrose 2 includes all the "free-world" codecs that would be required
> to cover the most common video formats used by html5 and flash.
>
> For complete <video> support we need to either upgrade xulrunner to a
> recent version or replace Browse with Surf, which is based on WebKit.

I believe 3.6 supported the theora component of html5. WebM will be
supported as of firefox 4. I believe the next stable release of OLPC
OS will be based upon Fedora 14 so will have the former. SoaS 5 will
be based on Fedora 15 which will have the later so should support both
theora and webm. I look forward to seeing people test this component
as we amp up testing post Fedora 15 alpha release.

> Being still based on Fedora 11, Dextrose and OLPC-OS cannot meet all the
> dependencies of a modern version of webkitgtk, but Surf would be a great
> addition for SoaS and USR.
>
> Mozilla announced that Firefox 4 won't support a public ABI/API for
> xulrunner, Ubuntu has dropped the xulrunner-python bindings since Lucid
> and all the GNOME applications have already been converted to WebKitGtk.
> It's already very clear which way the wind blows.

That's not entire true. They stated that they wouldn't ship other
bindings (such as python) within the core xulrunner package. Also
ActiveState who are the core developers of pyxpcom requested that it
be split back out of the core code base to allow easier development.

Regards,
Peter