[Sugar-devel] TB and nxt_python - include or depend

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:04:57 EST 2011

Hi Emiliano, Walter,

Looking at the situation with nxt_python on Fedora 11 and earlier OSs...

I think TB should detect availability of nxt_python (effectively
soft-depending n the rpm / deb), because:

 - The nxt_python package will also install the /etc/udev/rules.d
file, one way or another, you need either root access or the OS image
to have the packages installed. There is no way for TA to "just work".

 - nxt_python has several dependencies -- you need at least pyusb
(optionally pybluez). Including all of that code, and ensuring it
works across varios Fedora and Debian/Ubuntu releases is... ugh. Right
now, with only pyusb and nxt_python this means around 5K SLOCs
(according to SLOCcount).

 - Bluetooth support also adds requirements -- bluez, pybluez, udev
rules, kmod...

 - There is an nxt_python package for F9, F11 and F14.

 - In Debian/Ubuntu-land 'python-nxt' isn't in the official repos but
a nice package is available here
http://elektranox.org/debian/old/python-nxt/

Overall, I think it's a good idea for TB to find what infra is
available, and use it. Trying to ship all this stack is messy.

In related news, I just built a F11 NBC package (which also includes
NXC) - http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/nbc/

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions