[Sugar-devel] Work on Pootle today

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 17:37:18 EST 2011

= Managing conflicts =

/var/lib/pootle/checkouts has several conflicts that are preventing
synchronization in both directions. The main source of trouble is
maintainers committing changes in the po directory -- ignoring the
warning against it in the wiki.

We've added some diagnostics scripts that will nag Gonzalo when
something is wrong.

There is a way for Pootle to override changes in the po directory, but
it's somewhat risky, so at this time I prefer not to do it -- code
block present, but commented out, in pogenerator.py

= Crontabs to /etc/cron.d =

We moved crontabs to /etc/cron.d/pootle, this is much easier to find,
to edit, and to track with etckeeper.

Crontabs now go to Gonzalo. Arun, you are welcome to be copied as well :-)

= Timeouts when pushing =

When a language administrator attempted a commit or update from git,
the operation would usually timeout.

With help from alsroot and bernie, this has been diagnosed and fixed.
This was a firewall(ufw) breaking IPv6. So git push waited for
a 1m timeout, which in turn timed out on the HTTP side.

= Error logging =

We wanted to get better error logging, in the end we found (almost?)
all the problems, and added specific diagnosis for them as per above.

= Adding activities =

Can be automated, or at least documented. For the time being,  Gonzalo
will talk with Sayamindu to get this documented.

= Duplicate headers in PO files =

Sometimes (but not always) pootle gets its panties in a knot, and PO
files end up with many duplicate headers in one go. Example:
http://git.sugarlabs.org/memorize/mainline/commit/d8720afb4fc57341fe40722d82aae20894a0fd88

We grepped around and the responsible code seems to be
local_apps/pootle_store/models.py -- either mergefile() or
update_store_header() . Something to report upstream.

 - ask interesting questions