[Sugar-devel] TurtleBlocks driving lego NXT 2.0 -

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 10:04:41 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Emiliano Pastorino
<epastorino at plan.ceibal.edu.uy> wrote:
> Oh! I meant we hadn't had time to prepare the kits for the kids, just that.

Ok. Can you list/describe of what base kit you give the kids? Maybe
put it on a page on wiki.laptop.org?

I'd like to buy an arduino kit set for a basic robot, with the same
motors and sensors as you're using. So we can test here in the office
:-)

>> yes -- I've seen it. And I have an NXT at home, will be testing it
>> soon. I may have a few patches for you...
>
> I'll appreciate those patches. Do you want me to add you as a committer?

I'll publish to dev.l.o and send you a pull request.

> That's good, but I found some incompatibilities between the latest commit
> of nxt-python and python 2.5.1, so I had to modify a few lines.

Yeah - we can patch it on a suitable rpm for F9 builds. Are you still
targetting F9-based builds?

> Other thought about this point... wouldn't nxt-python package become a
> dependency for TurtleArt if we don't include it in the activity?

Yes, but you always need some "root-privileged" preparation to get to
the /dev node.

So include nxt-python in the dextrose build, or install the
/etc/udev/rules.d file. I think it makes sense to simplify things and
depend on nxt-python.

nxt-python sets the /dev node to 'lego' group, so you'll need to add
the 'olpc' user to that group.

I plan to do all of the above for our F14 release :-)

>>  - I've just packaged nbc / nxc for Fedora, which is almost like C,
>> and is a very nice way to program the robot. It even allows for
>> concurrent programming.
>
> Mmm... I'd like to get my hands on that code.

http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/nbc/

Fedora is pushing for more robotics tools in the distro --
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Robotics --

>>  - And I'm happy to help on the NXT / TA patch (as a personal project,
>> not OLPC sponsored).
>
> He he... personal interests since xmas maybe?

Exactly :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions