[Sugar-devel] TurtleBlocks driving lego NXT 2.0 -

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 17:25:15 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Emiliano Pastorino
<epastorino at plan.ceibal.edu.uy> wrote:
> We're working on a project to introduce robotics to school and high-school
> kids this year.

Excellent!

> Sayamindu's clone at
>  http://git.sugarlabs.org/~sayaminfu/turtleart/arduino-support , but

Wow! I didn't know this existed!  What do you mean when you say "hw
wasn't ready?"

> Right now, we've a fully working version of TurtleArt with NXT support at
> http://git.sugarlabs.org/~emiliano/turtleart/nxt-support

yes -- I've seen it. And I have an NXT at home, will be testing it
soon. I may have a few patches for you...

> It uses nxt-python (http://code.google.com/p/nxt-python/) to communicate
> with the brick

Here's some complementary good news:

 - nxt-python is packaged and maintained for Fedora 14, and we can
backport the package. You don't need to include it, and the rpm
contains the udev/rules file.

 - I've just packaged nbc / nxc for Fedora, which is almost like C,
and is a very nice way to program the robot. It even allows for
concurrent programming.

 - There's an overall push to get more robotics stuff into Fedora, so
upstream is keen to help

 - And I'm happy to help on the NXT / TA patch (as a personal project,
not OLPC sponsored).

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions