[Sugar-devel] porting Sugar on a Marvell tablet (avlite)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-1 at silbe.org
Tue Jan 4 13:09:07 EST 2011

Excerpts from Nagarjuna G's message of Mon Jan 03 08:50:07 +0100 2011:
> This is just to let you know that that we have successfully built the
> latest sugar-jhbuild on Debian GNU/Linux unstable for a tablet by
> Marvell's  PXA168 Avengers lite Development Platform.  This has 256MB
> ram and a 4GB flash.

I would have expected it to work (IIRC all of the ARM-specific bugs
I reported at Debian have been fixed by now, some of them recently),
but I'm nevertheless delighted to hear about your positive experience.

> Most of the things are working as expected, though there is lot of
> work left.  I will make a wikipage with screenshots soon.

> Once I find a virtual keyboard solution the system is ready.

For a production system running on only 4GB flash I highly recommend
using native Debian packages instead of sugar-jhbuild, especially for
storage space reasons. Jonas' repository (see Debian wiki [1]) contains
some updates and additional packages that didn't make it in time for the
freeze.

> Are there others on the list working on similar systems?

I'm running Sugar (both sugar-jhbuild and native Debian packages) on an
OpenRD-Base (via VNC+ssh, no physical screen; 0.5TB low-power HDD) for
testing purposes.
OLPC is running Sugar on XO-1.75 prototypes which are based on a Marvell
ARM SoC, though they're sticking to Fedora for consistency with previous
OLPC builds.

I've been running Sugar 0.82 (from Debian packages) on my PXA270 based
smartphone for fun, but with only 64MB of RAM it was of no actual use.

Sascha

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Sugar
--
http://sascha.silbe.org/