[Sugar-devel] Copyright notices

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Jan 3 14:21:58 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2011, at 13:09, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>
> wrote:

>> > It seems that now you have to seek approval from either Silbe or Erikos
>> > to get a patch in.
>> >
>> > We don't seem to have a UI dictator yet. Not even a committee. So my
>> > hope is that, at this time, UI patches don't have to go through a
>> > vaguely-defined Design Team for approval.
>>
>> Please, please, for the love of UI things you hold dear, no distracting
>> splash screens, and no extra junk menus for the lawyers. If you want to know
>> about copyright text, just go click View Source.
>
> First, I don't think the menu on the Frame is particularly overcrowded,
> although I am loath to overload the Stop button. But more to the point, I
> think About is much more than extra junk for the lawyers. The license is
> important as it tells the user that they can modify the code: most users
> probably don't know that, But it is also a chance to provide additional
> information about an activity, for example, a link to the activity home
> page.
>
> I'm not convinced it is worth the effort and data churn.
> Adding one new item to the Activities Frame menus seems fairly minimal, but
> than now raises a new modal (?) dialogue, will that sit over/under possibly
> having the control panel, or  object chooser, or view source dialogue open
> at the same time? Can the user switch away to another activity/view with it
> still open when they return?
> If we provide a web link to an activity home page, how does that get
> triggered? We make the user copy and paste it? We make it an active link
> that tries to auto start a new Browse instance? Which one page should it
> link to, wiki.sl.org, activities.sl.org, git.sl.org, bugs.sl.org?
> Which one authors name gets listed? Most have several intermittant hands on,
> or none, and often the original author has long since moved on.
> Release date, another field an author has to remember to manually update in
> the activity.info file?
> Sorry if I've missed some important back channel chat about the need for
> this, but -1 here from the arguments I've read.
> Regards,
> --Gary

Can we set up a mechanism where all activities available in a Sugar
environment on a particular machine get listed in a panel off the
Control Panel (like the Sugar license). This way, we have an aggregate
view of activities, licenses, authors, etc. from the panel instead of
each activity.

My understanding of Sugar's inner workings is too little to figure out
*how* this would be implemented...

cheers,
Sameer