[Sugar-devel] [Fwd: Help with bundling a virtual machine and a Sugar .iso]

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Thu Feb 17 13:15:43 EST 2011

Bastien;

I am forwarding your e-mail to people who will be better to answer your questions.

Thank you for your interest.

(see notes below)

Tom Gilliard

> Dear Thomas,
>
> Thomas C Gilliard <satellit at bendbroadband.com> writes:
>

>> > Thanks go to quidam and alsroot for this nice new sugar.
>>

> This is great news!  I'm looking forward testing it soon.
>
> May I ask you some advice on quite another topic?
>
> We (OLPC France) are working on a new activity to let children build
> stories -- something along CartoonBuilder, but slightly more flexible.
> This is a request from a foundation in France who wants to deploy this
> activity in several schools by the end of April.
>
> We found a Sugar developer, and the foundation is paying him to code the
> activity.  You can check for preliminary code on a.sl.o:
>
>   http://git.sugarlabs.org/atoidepoc
>
> There is one aspect of the project we have to deal with and where I
> think your advice will be priceless: how to let anyone run this activity
> on _any_ computer?  (Image old computers in primary schools.)
>
> We proposed two solutions: a virtual machine + .iso, and SOAS.
>
> Does the triskel .iso is the best .iso we can VM?  Which WM?  Is it
> possible to bundle the VM and the .iso in one single .exe and .dmg so
> that users don't have to take care of installing anything?

I just discovered that the Trisquel 4.1sugar.iso (as a Burned CD)  boots
on a MacBook Air but it does not display correctly.
(Hold down the "C" key on power on until the boot screen is shown)
It may need a proper xdriver=vesa driver. This needs to be investigated
farther.

VirtualBox is agnostic to most OS and Hardware. (Except for Power PC Mac.s)

Yes the VM files; trisquel-sugar_4.1_i686.iso (and the VirtualBox
installers in a subdirectory)  can be burned onto a DVD if needed.
I do not think the .dmg is presently achievable. Others will know a lot
more than I do on this topic.

If we can get the CD to Boot on an intel MAC properly , we would have a
universal CD which could be built with your atoidepoc application
installed on it.
Trisquel has several features:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#Live_CD_persistence
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#USB_load_helper