[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Reflect internet connectivity in the 'Network' frame icon

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Feb 15 18:37:48 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 08:57:01AM -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Going back to your original post to note something important: these
> statuses aren't important _just_ to show in the UI. This should be a
> system status property that can be queried by activities and by
> cronjobs / cli utils.

I disagree.  It should not be queried by activities or other
applications.  Doing so would greatly enlarge the scope of the feature.

NetworkManager already has sufficient functionality for reporting the
state of a network connection.

What this thread was discussing was providing the user with a
measurement of internet connectivity, in addition to what NetworkManager
and the Neighbourhood View already provides.  I think we should stick to
that.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/