[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] [DESIGN] Reflect internet connectivity in the 'Network' frame icon

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 14 21:57:22 EST 2011

On 14 Feb 2011, at 14:55, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 15:57 -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>> - add a similar feature that pings 'schoolserver' and indicates we
>> have an XS within reach
>
> Couldn't we use the presence service (or its equivalent)? I've always
> wanted to see a schoolserver icon in the mesh view... from which the
> user could (re-)register, initiate a backup/restore, open a browser on
> the schoolserver homepage, etc.

+1 I've wanted to see this for a long time as well, and the stroke & fill for the school server should be based on its identity, not the users, that way in a school with more than one server the neighbourhood view can be used as a quick visual check to where Sugar is registered (i.e teacher asks kids in a new class that they see a blue and orange school server icon before all trying to collaborate on a project). The palette for that icon can also textually indicate the available services provided by the server, maybe it's only a jabber server, maybe it supports backup/restore, maybe a moodle CMS.

As Anish mentioned the same schoolserver icon and palette could potentially be placed as well in the device frame, for use when not in the neighbourhood view.

--Gary