[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Reflect internet connectivity in the 'Network' frame icon

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 13 12:51:58 EST 2011

On 10 Feb 2011, at 15:46, Anish Mangal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, the 'network' icon on the frame tells us whether we're
> connected to a network or not. Would it make sense for it to test for
> internet connectivity and maybe reflect that by displaying a small
> globe overlaid on the 'Network' icon?

If the technical issues of actually testing for a working Internet connection can be solved reliably/globally, perhaps that extra information could be placed in the device pop-up palette as a text item? There are a number of different possible network device svg icons that would all need to work well with an extra visual globe overlay, I'm not convinced we could make one clear enough but closest would likely be a minimal fill/stroke circle in one corner. Certainly would need a line of text in the palette to aid discoverability/clarity.

Obviously would need to be clear exactly what was being tested to come up with wording/design (ping of some agreed server/s, working http get, etc).

--Gary