[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] [DESIGN] Reflect internet connectivity in the 'Network' frame icon

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Feb 10 15:20:54 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 12:46 -0300, Anish Mangal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, the 'network' icon on the frame tells us whether we're
> connected to a network or not. Would it make sense for it to test for
> internet connectivity and maybe reflect that by displaying a small
> globe overlaid on the 'Network' icon?

Nice, but how do we determine if we have internet connectivity, by
pinging a host such as activities.sugarlabs.org every now and then?

If it's sufficiently low-bandwidth, then I'd be in favor. Since no other
OS currently does something similar, there's a high chance that this
idea was already tried and found to be unfeasible.