[Sugar-devel] Sugar Labs Bug: 2485

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Fri Feb 4 10:33:03 EST 2011

I know the journal does not have the limitations that the file system
underneath it does.  The journal also does do some escaping, and at some
point I need to look at that in more detail.

I would be a bit cautious on trusting Wikipedia on this though for
export purposes.  The FAT/VFAT file systems definitely do have character
limits depending on which Microsoft OS you use, and which
codepage/iocharset you mount the file system with.  Linux based OSs
just tend to be extremely lax about enforcing any naming rules.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx goes
into this a bit.  It's worth noting that things get wierd fast; for
instance "?" cannot be a character in a file name, yet it is used for
other things (including requesting special processing for UNC paths, and
tagging files as "deleted").

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brian_dewey/archive/2004/01/19/60263.aspx also
looks a bit on the Microsoft side at how each subsystem in Windows
handles file names differently.