[Sugar-devel] New genealogic activity for Sugar

Lionel Laské lionel at olpc-france.org
Fri Dec 30 04:57:22 EST 2011

> * Try to use the new toolbars. If you want maintain compatibility with old
sugar, will need implement the two toolbars (old and new),

> but with simple activities is not too difficult.

Yes, I saw an example of the two toolbars in the Labyrinth activity. Sounds
easy to do but with some code duplication. I will plan it for the next
release.

> * You can request inclusion of the activity in the pootle server and
enable translators to do their job.

Okay.

> * If you can implement saving and reading a standard format as GEDCOM, the
possibilities are increased because
> you enable the "high ceil". If the kids want continue and need a more
powerful application, can use their work,
> and also can interchange with other sources.

You’re right. However GEDCOM format needs more fields so, more complexity.
One example is the birthdate. Of course it seems logical to have a birth
date field in a family tree. By the way, it need some complex interaction
for child to handle this. So I choose for the moment to ignore it and let it
in the description field. In a similar way, there is no separation today
between first name and last name like in the “buddy name”. May be I could
imagine a “basic” interface with only simple fields and an “advanced”
interface with more fields. BTW I didn’t observe this basic/advanced
separation in some other Sugar activities.

> Thanks for your work, I am sure this activity will be used a lot.

Thanks and thanks for your feedback.

Gonzalo