[Sugar-devel] Free Terminal?

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sun Dec 25 17:48:37 EST 2011

On 12/21/2011 07:58 AM, Samuel Klein wrote:
> It makes Terminal appear as a "second-class activity" when it should
> be a high-value first-class activity.
>
> Using Terminal can be fun, useful, illuminating.  It is the ony
> activity we offer to really get a sense of how your computer works.
> And it is not just for diagnostics or advanced uses.  A number of
> basic scripts or instructions about how to use or customize the XO
> require the Terminal.

This may be an answer:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#introduction_to_the_sugar_interface_.28CD.iso.29

    It is a download-able (7.4M) CD.iso file.

    Contains a .html of the Floss Manual "Terminal."

    This is a useful set of wiki pages that teach the basic operations
    of the Sugar-desktop
    Intended to be used ala "sneakernet" with no internet connection via
    a USB-stick

         Browse/Surf-115 in SoaS and the XO-1 will not open the
accompanying folder containing the files for the .html.
         This results in a web page with no links or .png screen-shots
         Firefox-6.xo file needs to be installed for the .html to work
properly
         Firefox-6.xo is included on the .iso

    Note:Firefox-6.xo does not use or have sugar-journal access.
    This means XO-1 security should not be compromised.
    Firefox-6.xo has been successfully tested on a G1G1 XO-1 running
    os508dx - (Dextrose2) and opens these wiki pages easily.

    * Installation

    This .iso is intended to be burned to a CD
    The CD can be used directly or
    copy/paste the contents of the CD to a USB-Stick
    Insert the USB stick in your XO-1 USB slot
    Drag drop the Firefox-6.xo file from the 2nd USB-stick to the
    Journal - Install it

    * Contents:

    ReadMeFirst.txt
    Firefox-6-xo - web browser
    Introduction_to_Sugar_Interface.html
    Connecting_to_the_Internet.html
    Drag-Drop.html
    How_to_use_IRC.html
    How_to_use_Chat.html
    Terminal.html - A downloaded .html from Floss Manuals
    <http://en.flossmanuals.net/terminal/Floss>