[Sugar-devel] Cannot run Pippy examples in Ubuntu Sugar emulator version

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Dec 4 18:53:40 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 07:22:15PM +0100, laurent bernabe wrote:
> I've got the Ubuntu Oneric Ocelot, and I've installed Sugar emulator
> (0.88) and pippy activity (37). Unfortunately, most of the examples
> does not work (those which import pippy package) : "No module named
> pippy".
>
> * I've read on the net that it should be a licensing issue, but how
> can fix it ?

Yes, it is a licensing issue for Ubuntu.  You can fix it by downloading
the Pippy activity from http://activities.sugarlabs.org/ rather than use
the activity included by Ubuntu.

(Ubuntu packager for Pippy should really remove the examples that don't
work, rather than have their licensing decision result in bugs.)

> * By the way, is there a way to publish activities created with pippy
> or must I necessarily have an ide with python binding and packaging
> the activity by hand ?

I don't recall a way to publish activities using Pippy, but I think it
might be possible.

Use whatever editor or IDE you feel comfortable with or can get training
on.  I use emacs, but I'm not willing to train you how to use it.  ;-)

Packaging is semi-automated using setup.py, but this can be automated
further using all sorts of tools.  If your IDE has a packaging script
plugin, you can enter the setup.py command into that.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/