[Sugar-devel] Removal of Activity Keep button

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Wed Aug 17 08:12:31 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 02:43:42PM +0200, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> On 07/31/2011 05:17 AM, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:

> >> James, +1.
> >>
> >> You can remove the code w/o problem, if you don't remove it, the activity
> >> won't work but only for sugar>=0.94 (as I understand it from Simon) , this
> >> is only for activities that have the keepbutton ''hardcoded'' in the
> >> activity toolbar code.
> >>

> > Rafael:
> > This is not correct.
> > The activity will continue working, because the class KeepButton was not
> > removed (there are two proposed patches, look at the second)
> > In most of the activities, the default Activity Tolbar is used, and in sugar
> > 0.94, the KeepButton will not be displayed.
> > In a few activities, the developer hidden the button, or used a custom
> > toolbar, and we provided patches to resolve them.
> > Of course, we did not checked the hundred of activities in ASLO, but only
> > the activities included by default in OLPC image,
> > then if another activity use the button (or the user is using a old version
> > of the activity) the only difference will be
> > the KeepButton will be present, but the activity will works ok.
> >
> > Gonzalo
>
> Right, so the button is only deprecated for now, and usage is
> discouraged. It will be removed in a later version.

That actually is not right, the patch that was landed to sugar-toolkit
removes keep member from ActivityToolbarButton. Thus, activities like
Terminal stops working.

Also that commit says that keep button will be removed another cycle.
Does it mean the next one? imho, there is no strong reason to break
backwards compatibility and rehash all activities (not only fructose,
ie, no way to fix all of them at once). The right way for me is
declaring good practices on wiki and having warnings in logs.

--
Aleksey