[Sugar-devel] opening a url with WebActivity

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sun Aug 14 12:03:34 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 8:23 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> Taking a look at the chrome, firefox, and android "intent" apis would be a
> good start.  WebOS apparently has an equivalent API, with a slightly
> different permissions ui, which might be an improvement.

Some links:
http://blog.chromium.org/2011/08/connecting-web-apps-with-web-intents.html
http://mozillalabs.com/blog/2011/07/web-apps-update-experiments-in-web-activities-app-discovery/
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/intents/intents-filters.html
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/g-app-intents.html

Some discussion about WebOS:
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/g-app-intents.html
Quoting from the Google+ discussion about permissions for intents cited above:
"WebOS also allows you to set permissions "as-needed", so you can let
google maps know where you are when you want directions from here, but
don't have to tell it if you just want to look at a map. I have been
reluctant to add either a Facebook or a G+ app to my Android gadget,
because I don't want to give either one blanket permission to follow
my location."

Could use some more research on the WebOS and iPhone mechanisms.
 --scott

--
      ( http://cscott.net )