[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Test startup animations

Benjamin Berg benzea at sugarlabs.org
Thu Aug 11 13:50:17 EDT 2011

Hello,

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 16:47 -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> I have prepared a few videos to show the change in the startup
> animation I am proposing

A long time ago I implemented an icon cache, and optimized the startup
animation (based on that). The speed improvement on the XO (B2/mass
production, not sure what I tested on) was very large back then. The
patch is rather large though, and will likely not apply anymore.

I am not sure if the improvement for the pulsing icon needs the cache to
work, but IIRC the patch on top of the icon cache one.

If someone is interested, I can dig it up again.

The relevant tickets are http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8000#comment:25
and http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8822 (outch, still on laptop.org).

Benjamin

PS: From Ticket 8000: "The icon drawing can be sped up quite a bit, if
the icon cache is server side rather than client side. This shaved off
35% of the drawing time in a quick test here."