[Sugar-devel] Moving to GTK3 and GObject Introspection

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Aug 9 05:59:29 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:11 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
>> I'd originally thought that refactoring the Sugar API into more
>> independent modules would be a necessary part of the effort, just to
>> be able to do a more incremental port.  I'd like to see that
>> refactoring happen, but I guess it's good that it's not on the
>> critical path?
>
> As mixing pygtk/gtk2 and pygi/gtk3 is not possible, splitting into
> more modules would be unlikely to help much. For example, if an
> activity pulled one one GTK2-ported module and one GTK3-ported module,
> it would have to stick with GTK2.

By "independent modules" I meant modules communicating via DBus or
g-o-i (C interface), not python all-in-one-interpreter modules.  I
should probably have said "independent libraries"; maybe that would
have been clearer.

(Memory management has to be thought through, but you could embed a
python interpreter and a pile of python code into a library which
exports a C API.  Such a library can be running any version of python
you like; it doesn't leak out and infect other libraries/modules.)
  --scott

--
      ( http://cscott.net )