[Sugar-devel] Attn maintainers Re:Pootle and POT files

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Mon Aug 8 05:52:58 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:40:28PM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> All,
>
> There is a widely held belief that Pootle takes care of updating the
> POT files in git and updating the Templates on Poolte.  This is not
> entirely accurate.
>
> The fact is that there is nothing in the Pootle code itself that does
> this automatically.  This automagical updating used to occur, but it
> was handled by scripts that Sayamindu had created to make it occur.
> These scripts have not been functioning for some time, probably since
> the last Pootle upgrade.  We will look at re-establishing this
> functionality in conjunction with an upcoming upgrade of the Pootle
> version, but for now, if a developer makes UI string changes it is
> necessary for them to regenerate the POT file and commit it to git and
> then notify the Translation Team (me) to pull the changes up to Pootle
> with a Template "Upgrade from VCS" where they can then be distributed
> to languages with an "Update from templates".

That might be too messy..

ie, if pootle was handling this sort of things in auto mode, then, for
sometime, all activity devs need to take care on theirs own, then pootle
will back to processing in auto mode..
It sounds more problematically especially for honey (fructose is more
centralized but even there we might have problems with in-time .pot
updates).

What about handling these .pot updates out-of-pootle and do not bother
activity devs? If you give me a list of repos (I guess some kind of
pootle config), I can setup regular .pot updates for git repos.

--
Aleksey