[Sugar-devel] Moving to GTK3 and GObject Introspection

Benjamin Berg benzea at sugarlabs.org
Sat Aug 6 08:23:23 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 15:12 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> > 2) Sugar theme: with the change to GTK3 we will need rewrite the Sugar
> > theme, right?
> > I think GTK3 use only cairo to draw the widgets, I don't know how is our
> > theme working,
> > and I don't know who can do this work.
>
> Good point - this is something that we'll need to investigate. I'll
> look into it on next opportunity.

The current sugar theme does use cairo for all of its drawing (for
everyone who does not know, I am the author of the theme). However, the
theme is quite complicated, and GTK+ 3.0 introduced a completely new
theming system based on CSS and a new engine API (that I am not familiar
with).

I do hope though that it will be less hackish to implement the required
things with GTK+ 3.0.

Benjamin