[Sugar-devel] Moving to GTK3 and GObject Introspection

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Aug 5 09:04:49 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> So, discuss! :)
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/GTK3
>
> Comments, agreement, and hate mail much appreciated - I'll refine the
> above page based on the discussion that follows.

No comments yet.

Here are the main questions that (IMO) need discussion:

1. Do we use the python module table magic so that both GTK2 and GTK3
versions of sugar toolkit can have the name "sugar", or do we give the
GTK3 version a new name (e.g. sugar1)?

2. Are people happy with labelling components with version number 1.0
once they have a stable GTK3 port? The 1.0 tag was generally agreed
upon when this was last discussed a while back, but it would be good
to verify current opinion.

3. I'm toying with the idea of coordinating a hackfest for this at, or
immediately after, Sugarcamp Paris next month. The result would be
that sugar-toolkit-1.0 gets released at the end of the hackfest,
including GTK2 and GTK3 support. What do people think about that?

4. Is a one year transition period OK? This would start when a GTK3
port of sugar-toolkit is declared stable and working, would freeze the
GTK2 version of sugar-toolkit, and then after 1 year the GTK2 version
would be deleted.

4. Are there unanswered questions or considerations that I've missed?

Daniel