[Sugar-devel] Starting one activity with a uri in Sugar

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue Aug 2 08:33:48 EDT 2011

Right now, we can't open a url from a PDF file or from the the terminal in
Browse,
or a PDF file from Browse. In the case of files, we need copy the file in
the Journal
and open it from here, but there are cases where this is not a good idea,
like when is a PDF
stored in a content bundle already present in a XO.

The experience for the user is suboptimal and there are lot of code
duplication, for example,
in OLPC we forked the Browse activity to include a PDF plugin [1], but we
can't open EPUB files,
and if I want implement this will finish re-implementing all the Read
activity. The plugin itself
is a hack and we are not comfortable with pushing it upstream.

There are a propose from Martin Abente [2] to add a uri to the parameters of
sugar-launch
and looks like there are consensus to include it.
Can we land this now? Thoughts?

Gonzalo

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10699
     http://bugs.sugarlabs.org//ticket/103