[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] Some quick comments on the Journal in 11.2.0 build 16 and Dextrose 508

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Sat Apr 30 10:58:26 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 16:47 +0200, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> I used my 12h plane ride to Montevideo to play around with 11.2.0
> build 16 and Dextrose 508 on my two XO-1.5 machines. I thought I'd
> brielfy comment on some observation I made in the Journal:
>
> * When copying large files (in my case a 700MB video) over from a USB
> drive to the Journal there's no indication of the progress of the
> copy-process. For small files I do remember seeing the gray-screen
> with some sort of progress-bar but for this one it really looked as
> though the system was simply frozen all throughout the copy process
> (which also seemed to take ages compared to doing it on my regular
> laptop). [11.2.0 / Dextrose]

This is indeed a big usability problem.

> * 11.2.0 (not sure about previous versions) also shows the available
> Journal space after hovering over the Journal icon when a USB drive is
> connected. This is really handy when trying to decide whether to copy
> over large files from external media so I think it would be great if
> Dextrose also integrated it (which it currently doesn't seem to do).

You mean on the journal icon on the device toolbar, in the bottom-left
corner? This shouldn't be too hard to back-port from Sugar 0.92.

> * Last but not least: allowing the selection of multiple Journal
> entries. IIRC this does appear on the to-do list for Dextrose 3 but I
> was wondering whether there's a chance it can also make it into
> 11.2.0? Maybe it's much harder than I imagine but could this be an
> item to tackle during the Sugar Camp in Montevideo?

This will indeed take a lot of rework. Perhaps it could be started (and
maybe finished) in a sprint session at the Sugar Camp.

> Overall I was very impressed by these latest software versions and
> can't wait to test them more over the coming days and weeks:-)

Thanks for taking the time to test *and* report back!
--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team