[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] ANNOUNCE: Moving Sugar to GPLv3+

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:18:14 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> To me, one of the more compelling arguments for considering GPLv3 is
> "When the Rules Are Broken: A Smooth Path to Compliance".

Interesting! I hadn't thought it'd be so awkward, but if one is to be
100% formal, you need to do something like that.

Good news is -- if SL likes that, GPLv2 doesn't encode a mechanism for
a path to restoration; so nothing blocks a project from stating its
"practices" for restoration.

As a promise from the copyright holder, it effectively "extends" the
license. You can't extend GPL adding restrictions, but you can sure
add promises :-)

(The project would need agreement from copyright holders - just once.)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions