[Sugar-devel] NetworkManager 0.8 ---> 0.9

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:21:38 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> NetworkManager broke API compatibility with the latest version 0.9 [1][2].
>> This means we have to switch to the new API sooner or later. F15, which
>> includes NM 0.9, does hit that issue already - hence you can not connect to
>> an AP anymore.
>>
>> This is an item that should go into 0.94 and F15 might carry a patch (if we
>> get one - help welcome).
>
> Not sure if its of any assistance but here's the patch anaconda used
> for their update to NM-0.9 if any one has some time to hack up a patch
> for me to test.
>
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=anaconda.git;a=commit;h=2fc520c7bb745e1dacfab547faa9f09e060ceaa7

I've read up on this and poked it some more today, I'm only just
learning python so its a bit over my head. That said it doesn't look
too hard or time consuming for someone who knows the codebase better
than I. It breaks down AFAICT to the following changes:
- Changes for "check online" for Activities. This should be simple and
only a minor change
- Change for connecting to a Wireless AP. Major change for this is to
move from "user settings" to "system settings" and the links below
seem to make it look simple.

I've not checked GSM, ad-hoc wifi or mesh (not supported in SoaS).

Peter

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2011-March/msg00098.html
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/ref-migrating.html
https://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/ApiSimplify