[Sugar-devel] Turtle Art in GNOME 3

Thomas Gilliard satellit at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 12 07:52:09 EDT 2011

Walter Bender wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Walter,
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For some reason, when I try to access the window of my drawable area,
>>> it is coming back as None. I wonder if this is something that has
>>> somehow changed in GNOME 3.
>>>
>> It shouldn't be due to gnome3. We're still using gtk2/metacity for
>> sugar. The version is gtk2-2.24.4 so you might want to check the API
>> docs to see if anything has changed there. Do you use pygtk?
>>

> I'll have to dig deeper. Everything works fine when I run it from the
> GNOME shell, so it must be related to something Sugar is doing (or no
> longer doing).

maybe this link may help?
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#GNOME_Shell:
Technology
 "Much of the code of the shell is written in Javascript but uses
Clutter and GNOME platform libraries via GObject Introspection
<http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection> and JavaScript bindings for
GNOME <http://live.gnome.org/Gjs>. ...."

satellit
Tom Gilliard
also:
GIMPnet IRC #gnome; #gnome-design, #gnome-shell, #gnome3
freenode IRC: #gnome, #fedora-qa

Note: to get USB to mount in Sugar-Emulator in VirtualBox4.0.4
Insert USB you want to use
Start VirtualBox
Settings/Ports/USB
on right side click on usb icon (+)
select the USB you have mounted

MUST BE DONE: on desktop safely remove USB
start your VirtualBox appliance
insert the USB again
click on journal in f3 of sugar
USB will now appear in bottom corner of sugar-emulator when frame retracts
click on USB and contents will be listed
drag-drop content (.xo) from usb to journal icon on bottom left.

This is not obvious....that usb has to be removed and reinserted.

This assumes that the extensions are installed (for USB 2 support)
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.4/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack
(These are not GPL- for private use only license)
(To install: click on downloaded extensions from desktop or where it
downloaded)