[Sugar-devel] Reasonable number of users sharing an activity instance?

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 05:35:49 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at laptop.org.au>wrote:

> Sugar doesn't seem to place any limits, so conceivably there could be
> 100 kids trying to access the same instance. I tried a game of
> Memorise on XOs in a class last week, and I saw errors such as
> children being able to connect to the session but not actually
> participate (which basically halted the game when it came to that
> child's turn).
>
> This can be frustrating for the children and the teacher. If we could
> manage their expectations, they would be much more receptive.
>
> Games in other media (board games, console games, etc.) cite a hard
> limit on the number of players (e.g. "2-4 players"). Might it be
> useful for us to do that in Sugar? This could be implemented as a mere
> recommendation or a hard restriction in the code.

Hi Sridhar,

I seem to remember some discussions about an activity or its metadata
specifying for how many users its made for (e.g. two users for certain
activities and games). Additional users would then be able to observe the
collaborative mode in some sort of "view only" mode. Unfortunately I now
can't seem to find the appropriate e-mail threads on the lists...

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer