[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Polish copy-to external storage device experience

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Apr 4 15:54:37 EDT 2011

Hi,

today I found a few quirks when using the copy"-to" functionality in the
Journal [1].

1) The copy-to option in the item palette in the Journal: As a follow up
on [2] I would suggest to change the 'copy' option in the item palette
of the Journal list view to 'copy to'. This includes then an option for
the 'Clipboard' and one for each attached external device [3]. There is
no icon for the clipboard option yet.  Similarly the palette in the list
view for an external device would change to [4].

2) The copy option in the Journal detail view is a bit akward to use. If
you click on the toolbutton 'copy to clipboard' is done automatically.
But the palette has a secondary option to copy to a removable device
[5]. Maybe on normal left click the palette should fully appear with an
option for the clipboard and and one for each attached external device
to make the interaction clearer?

3) I have just submitted a patch that does make sure the 'usb-icon' is
displayed correctly. The issues is described here [6]. If you think we
should better add more icons like 'drive-removable-media-usb',
'drive-removable-media'..., please say so.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10805
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#04