[Sugar-devel] Dropbox on the XO

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Fri Apr 1 12:31:00 EDT 2011

Hi Christoph,
We're having a similar use case in Peru at the moment. Artists from
Neokinok.tv are recording with the children of the Shippibo and Aymara
native communities a documentary using XOs and Record. They needed a way
to copy the footage as well as other content into a central server. So I
have started working with them on using and adapting
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/FileShare.

We've run into some constraints like:

- Having to share one file by one.
     (I've made a patch to share all "favorites" at once)
http://git.sugarlabs.org/file-share-activity
     With a populated journal this crashes, still debugging.

- The server script - we'd like it to provide feedback of successful
operations and also to extract uploaded files into a regular directory
(instead of .xoj journal files). For use with a regular linux desktop
for editing video and material.

- All children should have permission to upload to server

- When testing on localhost the server errors (but doesnt seem to fail)
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2732

When I'm finished writing these patches maybe the activity will be
closer to useful for your scenario as well.
Let me know if you'd like me to ping you for testing it.

I'm copying Justin who is the author.

BTW they'll be streaming live today at 7pm EST
http://experimentaltv.org/xotv
or directly http://stream.neokinok.tv:8000/xotv.ogg

Cheers!
Sebastian