[Sugar-devel] Content bundles

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sat Sep 25 01:44:29 EDT 2010

Hi, maybe somebody could help here.

I have created a Pippy program to map sea surface temperature.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Tonyforster#Sea_Surface_Temperature_Mapping

Because I wanted to distribute two files as one compressed download and also because wiki.sugarlabs does not host *.py files, I decided to try a *.xol content bundle. It also seemed like a good opportunity to learn about bundles.

I am running OS373pyg

I created a bundle http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Sst.xol

It turned out to be complex, not simple. Issues that arose were:

It seems that you can not remove a content bundle once you install it. Even deleting it in Terminal still leaves the menu in Browse.

Opening the bundle starts a redundant empty write session.

Both of the files *.asc and *.py needed a right click to save them, left click just opens a viewer, yes I understand why

*.py files save to the journal as text/plain and Pippy will not open text/plain, they need to be copied from Write to Pippy

The net result is a very complicated user experience. I just wanted to download and uncompress two files as a single download. Am I missing something simple?

Tony