[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Sugar Journal - Erase confirmation

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 16:48:55 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 23:50, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org>
> wrote:
> >>  In Sugar's Journal, the per-entry "Erase" menu choice does not ask for
> >> any confirmation prior to deleting an object.
> >>
> >> This presents the risk of accidentally deleting something, especially
> >> since the "View Details" menu choice is immediately above it
> >>
> >> I searched bugs.sugarlabs.org looking to see if anyone had ever
> >> suggested verifying the erasure/deleting of a Journal entry prior to
> >> doing so, but could not find any obvious tickets on the subject.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if this is by design?
> >
> > I don't really remember, adding Eben and Christian to CC in case they do.
>
> I don't remember either. We really should be asking to confirm,
> especially for user-generated data. But if and when someone digs into
> that code, it would be great to finally address the issue of selecting
> multiple objects.  Deleting one item at a time, even without the
> additional step of a confirmation, is tedious.

Agreed. I think the expectation there was that a confirmation dialog would
appear in a strip beneath the toolbar, with "Cancel" and "Erase" buttons.

I also agree with Walter regarding the need for multiple selection support;
we had some nice mockups with checkboxes that enabled single-click (without
modifier) selection of sets of objects to take action on.

Eben