[Sugar-devel] Some questions concerning saving methods on sugar

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Tue Sep 21 11:47:11 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Bert Freudenberg's message of Tue Sep 21 15:30:38 +0200 2010:

[datastore-fuse]
> There is a chicken-and-egg problem here. Unless this is already shipping, people won't use it in their activities. But I'm not even suggesting we need to do this - I was just answering on Alberto's behalf to your question what the data store is lacking.

I wouldn't consider it a lack on the data store side. To activity
developers, it doesn't matter too much what the low-level interface
looks like (POSIX EAs vs. DBus). If you want it to integrate well
with Sugar, you need to add metadata in both cases (datastore-fuse does
the same amount of guessing that traditional "file managers" do to fill
in some of the metadata). These days DBus APIs are even more "standard"
than extended file attributes (and much better supported in various
languages AFAICT), so I don't see how a POSIX based interfaces makes it
easier for activity developers.

What might be more useful (to developers of non-Python activities) is a
high-level, cross/multi-language API for accessing the data store. IIRC
alsroot was working on one. For activities written in Python
sugar.datastore.datastore should work fine (even if you don't use the
rest of the activity framework).

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/