[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Home button in Browse

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 15 22:21:41 EDT 2010

On 15 Sep 2010, at 12:03, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> On 09/14/2010 10:50 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> On 6 Sep 2010, at 15:25, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can well imagine there had been several discussions about this before, even so a quick search of the archives did not reveal something:
>>>
>>> Deployment(s) have been asking how to go back to the home page (OLPC start page / Sugar Labs start page) in the Browse activity. I think in 0.84, as we resume by default, we see more learners to have problems with that, because in 0.82 we did start a new session when clicking on the activity icon, hence the Browse activity came up with the starting page in most cases.
>>
>> Yes, resume by default is likely trigging this feature request vs 0.82 users. I guess this can be considered another call to resolve the resume vs. start new designs.
>>
>>> I would say, adding a button that brings you back to the defined default page would be a good addition. There is even an icon in artwork already (attached) :)
>>>
>>> What do others think?
>>
>> Yes icon is OK (door/window should be cut out shapes rather than grey fills, I can easily fix if we go ahead with this). Hopefully we don't get too many complaints about using a western style house with pointy roof and a chimney ;)
>
> Heh, yeah I wondered about that, too. Though I could not come up with a better icon so far.

Looking... there's not too much 'home' variety out there to be honest, have something better than posted (technically at least re door and window), will post tomorrow once I've tried a few more out.

>> We are very short of space in the Browse toolbar, if the create new tab feature had not just been added we would have had space for home (tabs is a complicated feature I worry will confuse most of our target audience, though I know us geeks use it all the time). Need a bit of a think on this, but hoping we don't need to add yet another button.
>
> Sascha suggested to move the reload and home button into one option IIRC. So, I was not too happy about it. Maybe this gives you some new ideas to regroup the options to not run into space issues.

Is it possible to remove the reload button and place an equivalent smaller widget inside the far right of the URL location input field, much like we already do with search input fields else where in Sugar (with the circle + x clear icon)? Keeping in mind that the reload button needs to change function from Reload to Stop depending on activity. FWIW, this is the same design Apple is using in Safari to save some button space.

Regards,
--Gary