[Sugar-devel] #2141 UNSP: Memory and CPU status indicator for the frame.

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Wed Sep 15 17:24:10 EDT 2010

 On 16 September 2010 03:53, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> Agreed -- that's a terrible heuristic. And happy/sad face is a
> terrible "UI". The computer is not happy or sad; it's _working_.

I recently learned that when an autistic child played a Gcompris game on
Sugar and were "rewarded" with a smiling clown they freaked out and didn't
want to get the answers right anymore. The parent picked up on the problem
and tried other Gcompris games with flowers and the child was happy to be
"rewarded" with flowers so now they only play the flower games.

When I was in Samoa at their olpc deployment, I foudn the kids started lots
of activities but no one had told them how to stop an activity. I tried to
explain why the XOs were not responsive by saying that the computer was like
a cup and each activity added water to the cup, and after 2 or 3 activities
were running the cup was full so they had to stop activities before the cup
was full and that would make room for new activities to start. Now I don't
know if that was the best way of explaining it, as a cup doesn't really
explain clearly the removal of load. Can we come up with a good load
analogy? For some reason I have the image of the cart loaded so heavy that
the horse is lifted off the ground. I don't think that is appropriate.

Use of colours to indicate health can also be complicated as green for go
and red for stop are quite Western colour interpretations.

There is also the scenario in the opposite direction when you consider wifi
strength of signal - when it is full that is a good thing, and empty is bad.

Tabitha