[Sugar-devel] What should system mood really mean? (forked from #2141 UNSP: Memory and CPU status indicator for the frame.)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 12:39:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Anish Mangal
<anishmangal2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about extending the meaning of 'system mood' to more than just the
> memory and cpu usage metrics.

As I've mentioned in the other thread, this is not a good metaphor.

If you have a box, as long as things _fit_ in it, you're ok. An
almost-full box cannot be said to be happy or unhappy -- very often
you are trying to maximise its use.

Three problems

 - the metaphor is a really bad match

 - mixing many variables is problematic

 - for the few problems this may help diagnose, there is no link to
the "responsible" system component, and no link to the action

I think we need to work on this area, and that your work in it is
invaluable. I do think it is showing that this particular path is
clearly not being productive.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions