[Sugar-devel] "Name this entry" dialog questions

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 15 08:29:12 EDT 2010

On 15 Sep 2010, at 11:49, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:

> On 09/14/2010 08:16 PM, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>> Excerpts from Erik Blankinship's message of Tue Sep 14 19:48:43 +0200 2010:
>>
>>> When exiting an activity, a "Name this entry" dialog sometimes pops up.
>>>
>>>    - Can an activity developer bypass this dialog when closing an activity?
>>>    - Can an activity developer summon this dialog at will while the activity
>>>    is running (and grab the text from the dialog when the dialog is closed)?
>>
>> Yes, it's possible, but no, I don't recommend doing that. The naming
>> dialog was an ad-hoc solution and will be replaced by something
>> (hopefully) better in future releases. Walter was working on it [1],
>> but unfortunately it didn't get finished in time for 0.90.
>
> Yes, a solution should be in 0.92.
>
>> IMO the best way to implement this is by adding a button in the Activity
>> toolbar (the one where you can also change the title) that brings you
>> to the Journal details page. The Journal API for that has been in place
>> for a long time already, all you need is the button. While we would
>> include that button in sugar-toolkit in the future (if the others agree
>> this is the best way to do it), you can just include that code inside
>> your activity and have it working on older Sugar releases as well.
>>
>> Sascha
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Write_to_journal_anytime
>
> We discussed about directly switching to the Journal, but it has some
> downsides, too. It might be hard for a learner to get that context
> switch.

One option could be to enhance the current naming dialogue so that it includes the few extra features as found in the Journal details view. The Journal details view code could then be removed and replaced by raising the naming dialogue. That way we'd have less code, and a single standard metadata editing UI that can be raised by the Journal, the shell, or activity code.

Regards,
--Gary