[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Error/Warning Icons for alerts

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 14 20:28:38 EDT 2010

Hi Frederick,

On 14 Sep 2010, at 18:56, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 11:34 AM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> > On 09/06/2010 09:25 PM, Anish Mangal wrote:
> >> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>   wrote:
>
> {...}
>
> Ping, has anyone of the designers (looks hopeful at Gary :) an idea for
> two icons: error and warning that we could use in the alerts?
>
> This research paper has some background, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=616122.
>
> We have these on the wiki, http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Category:Admonition_template.

Thanks for the links. It would indeed seem that triangle + ! is the ideal warning, and circle + x is for error/critical if we want to further split up the alerts. I guess a square + i or ? (perhaps more international?) could be the choice for informational only alerts, though that would start to eat into the available text space as that is perhaps the common case (Chat, Browse use these frequently), perhaps informational could be icon free?

Regards,
--Gary