[Sugar-devel] Sugar and activities flag day

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 14 19:27:00 EDT 2010

On 14 Sep 2010, at 12:11, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:

> On 09/13/2010 05:58 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
>> On 10 September 2010 13:41, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org>  wrote:
>>> Just wanted to summarize an enlightening conversation that just
>>> happened in #sugar:
>>
>> No responses..surprising!
>> Let me try a bit harder then.
>
> We all duck and freeze - the old wait until it is over tactic!

Yea, right now I'm doing my deer in the headlights pose. Daniel, thanks for scaring me, I'm having activity maintenance nightmares already.

>> My thoughts/suggestions:
>>
>> 1. Rename sugar-0.92 to Sugar-1.0
>>
>> 2. Switch to pygi and GTK+ 3 for sugar-1.0
>
> This seem to be inescapable - even if we duck...

I'll stand here, in the headlights, hoping you guys will drive your 4x4 around me and I don't end up on a cold meat slab ;)

>> 3. Allow significant sugar API changes up until the sugar-1.0 API
>> freeze date, which I think would land mid-January 2011. These would be
>> subject to the usual review processes to ensure quality.
>
> Yes, API freeze would be mid-January.
>
>> 4. Ignore the silly people who draw large conclusions from looking at
>> a version number
>
> I myself, do not draw too much on version numbers. If you look at the
> consequences in support then what we shipped with 0.82 was 1.0.
> Personally, I think we could even get away with naming it 0.94 and
> announce that we switched to GTK+ 3.

It's looking painful what ever we do, 0.94 does sound a little better to me even with all the breakage, v1.0 has always been a feature complete milestone in my mind - we are still way short of that even given another 6 months or so.

Regards,
--Gary