[Sugar-devel] "Name this entry" dialog questions

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Tue Sep 14 14:16:14 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Erik Blankinship's message of Tue Sep 14 19:48:43 +0200 2010:

> When exiting an activity, a "Name this entry" dialog sometimes pops up.
>
>    - Can an activity developer bypass this dialog when closing an activity?
>    - Can an activity developer summon this dialog at will while the activity
>    is running (and grab the text from the dialog when the dialog is closed)?

Yes, it's possible, but no, I don't recommend doing that. The naming
dialog was an ad-hoc solution and will be replaced by something
(hopefully) better in future releases. Walter was working on it [1],
but unfortunately it didn't get finished in time for 0.90.

IMO the best way to implement this is by adding a button in the Activity
toolbar (the one where you can also change the title) that brings you
to the Journal details page. The Journal API for that has been in place
for a long time already, all you need is the button. While we would
include that button in sugar-toolkit in the future (if the others agree
this is the best way to do it), you can just include that code inside
your activity and have it working on older Sugar releases as well.

Sascha

[1] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Write_to_journal_anytime
--
http://sascha.silbe.org/