[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Etoys 4.1

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 14 13:14:10 EDT 2010

Hi Bert,

On 31 Aug 2010, at 21:46, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 31.08.2010, at 20:07, Gary Martin wrote:
>
>> Hi Bert,
>>
>> On 30 Aug 2010, at 10:50, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>>> This is the first beta release of Etoys 4.1.
>>>
>>> The biggest change is that stopping the Etoys activity will no longer save to the Journal. To save, you will have to press the keep button. The octagonal stop button is replaced by a circular exit button to indicate the new behavior. It puts up a warning before actually quitting.
>>
>> :-(( but I'm sure this was a really tough decision to make.
>>
>> Do you have a screen shot of the new UI and warning dialogue that I can easily take a look at?
>>
>> My first gut reaction (not having seen it yet) is that the Keep button is a real problem generally (and causes confusion and misunderstanding in Sugar). Habitually training kids to click that icon each time before exiting will, for all other activities, generate many confusing duplicate Journal entries over time and make matters even worse.
>>
>> For the Etoys case, as a workaround for not knowing your clean/dirty state, I think having the regular Stop UI button that when clicked _always_ displayed some sort of "Do you want to Keep the changes to this project in the Journal?" Keep/Don't Keep dialogue. That way kids can just keep clicking the Stop button without worry in all activities, and it's just that the Etoys pop-us up and extra dialogue when they do click Stop there.
>>
>> Apologies if this is already what your new "warning before actually quitting" dialogue does :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> --Gary
>
> Well, you can try it in sugar-jhbuild.
>
> Or on your XO or SoaS:
>
> 	http://etoys.laptop.org/

Sorry for taking so long to get to this (FWIW I did try a while back on an XO-1 with a recent Dextrose build but could not yum upgrade as the yum cache was limited to 49Mb and this Etoys needed 53Mb).

> As usual, the Keep button saves a copy in the Journal. Unlike in Etoys before, it now brings up a dialog to edit the project details, followed by a dialog to chose the save location - either the Journal (preselected) or to "the cloud" (Squeakland).

This dialogue is pretty scary, actually it's two dialogues when you click on the keep toolbar icon, the first is a naming dialogue form: