[Sugar-devel] Sugar and activities flag day

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Sep 14 07:18:09 EDT 2010

On 09/14/2010 11:08 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org>  wrote:
>> One way of seeing things that might make more palatable 0.92 == 1.0 is
>> that we are really still in the first iteration and 1.0 will be when
>> that first iteration reaches maturity, without big changes in the API.
>> After 1.0 we can start working on what will be one day 2.0 which
>> should be the second iteration of Sugar, hopefully using what we have
>> learned during these years.
>>
>> This would mean that the next cycle would be devoted to rebasing on
>> top of GNOME 3 so we remain packageable in future distros and that the
>> next-gen activity APIs would only come afterwards.
>>
>> How does it sound?

That is good with me, too.

> I think that's a good plan. I would accept API cleanups (especially
> deprecated API removals) if someone has time to do them though, I
> would just not make it the focus for the release.

I wanted to remove deprecated API already in 0.90, though people were
screaming that it has not been announced early enough, which of course
was fair enough.

I think the important part is, that one has a policy for dropping and
replacing API, communicates that and then as well move forward at some
point do break and announce, remind and ping... Some people will switch
in time others will need to hit the errors first, then move, but that is
ok ;D

To give an example of how long API changes are accepted by activities
the toolbars we introduced in 0.86 can be seen. I think probably 10% of
activities has been ported so far. (no blame here, just observing)

Regards,
    Simon