[Sugar-devel] Sugar and activities flag day

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Sep 14 07:11:37 EDT 2010

On 09/13/2010 05:58 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On 10 September 2010 13:41, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org>  wrote:
>> Just wanted to summarize an enlightening conversation that just
>> happened in #sugar:
>
> No responses..surprising!
> Let me try a bit harder then.

We all duck and freeze - the old wait until it is over tactic!

> My thoughts/suggestions:
>
> 1. Rename sugar-0.92 to Sugar-1.0
>
> 2. Switch to pygi and GTK+ 3 for sugar-1.0

This seem to be inescapable - even if we duck...

> 3. Allow significant sugar API changes up until the sugar-1.0 API
> freeze date, which I think would land mid-January 2011. These would be
> subject to the usual review processes to ensure quality.

Yes, API freeze would be mid-January.

> 4. Ignore the silly people who draw large conclusions from looking at
> a version number

I myself, do not draw too much on version numbers. If you look at the
consequences in support then what we shipped with 0.82 was 1.0.
Personally, I think we could even get away with naming it 0.94 and
announce that we switched to GTK+ 3.

Regards,
    Simon