[Sugar-devel] wanting to try recent Sugar, problems

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Mon Sep 13 04:22:15 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Anish Mangal's message of Wed Sep 01 13:32:55 +0200 2010:

> > don't install Sugar distro packages and sugar-jhbuild in parallel on
> > the same VM, it'll cause trouble).
>
> Can you elaborate what would be the nature of these problems?

For distro packages vs. sugar-jhbuild issues in general, see SL#111 [1]
and SL#2304 [2]. I don't remember any written record of Glucose distro
packages (as opposed to GConf-dbus) breaking anything, but seem to
remember I've hit it during testing once. This kind of issue is usually
rather hard to detect and diagnose, so it's better to simply not try it.
If you still try it and find out that sugar-jhbuild needs to do something
(usually setting an environment variable) to make something in
sugar-jhbuild preferred to the same thing in the distro, please file a
bug on bugs.sl.o [3].

> I've been trying to get a clean jhbuild env to work under f13.
> gabble/salut don't work when I run the sugar-emulator. and I can't
> share activities.
>
> To test whether is this was a system-wide problem, I installed the
> sugar-* rpm's as well. The package-installed sugar-emulator starts up
> well; gabble/salut don't crash and I can get activities to be shared.

Your particular problem stems from the fact that the latest development
version (i.e. git HEAD) has had Tomeus "Remove Presence Service" [4]
Feature landed which requires the very latest (not yet packaged) releases
of several Telepathy components. The Fedora 13 Sugar packages OTOH contain
"old" code that works fine with older versions of Telepathy.

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/111
[2] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2304
[3] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/newticket?component=sugar-jhbuild