[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2010-09-12

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 14:52:08 EDT 2010

==Sugar Digest==

1. One of the pleasures of working with Sugar is the interaction with
educators. Over the past few weeks, I have been in a closed loop with
Tony Forster, who has been developing some lesson plans and tutorial
around the use of the Slide Rule activity that I had written. Not only
has Tony given me feedback about bugs, he has also given me ideas
about how to make the activity more useful and compelling to students.
At Tony's urging, I have recently added new slides for Sin, Tangent,
Log Log, and Natural Log. In the process, I did a major refactoring of
the code – I am almost not embarrassed by it – and a retooling of the
UI. But also, in the spirit of Sugar, I added the ability to generate
custom slides and stators on the fly. (I've a bit more fine-tuning to
do before I release the code, but
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/2310/Sliderule-15.xo is at
least somewhat usable.)

Not to be outdone, Gary generated a slide rule in Gamemaker. A glutton
for punishment, he then made a slide rule in TurtleArt
(http://tonyforster.blogspot.com/2010/09/turtle-sliderule.html).

The only thing better than Sugar is the Sugar community.

2. Reminder: we will be holding our mid-term election in October in
order to fill three oversight board positions. If you are not an
"official" member of Sugar Labs and would like to be, please contact
members AT sugarlabs DOT org. Being a member of the oversight board is
a great way to be involved with the project. It is not to late to add
your name to the ballot.

===In the community===

3. Jim Simmon's ''Make Your Own Sugar Activities!'' manual is now
available en español
[http://translate.flossmanuals.net/ActivitiesGuideSugar_es/Introduction].

4. There will be an OLPC/Sugar/Realness summit October 21 – 24 in San
Francisco. The summit is being hosted by the San Francisco Bay Area
OLPC community. More details are available at
[http://olpcsf.org/CommunitySummit2010/].

===Tech Talk ===

5. Aleksey Lim has set up an IRC channel for "newbie" developers:
#sugar-newbies on freenode. The channel is logged so that we can
archive "newbie" questions and answers
([http://jita.sugarlabs.org/freenode/%23sugar-newbies/index.html]).

===Sugar Labs===

Gary Martin has generated a SOM from the past weeks of discussion on
the IAEP mailing list.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2010-Aug-14-20-som.jpg (18 emails)

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2010-Aug-21-27-som.jpg (32 emails)

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2010-Aug-28-Sept-3-som.jpg (16 emails)