[Sugar-devel] internationalization: homonym handling in genpot?

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 10 16:11:58 EDT 2010

Hi Erik,

On 10 Sep 2010, at 18:17, Erik Blankinship <erikb at mediamods.com> wrote:

>> 	#TRANS: bow and arrow
>> 	activeDisplay = _("Bow")
>>
>> 	#TRANS: the front of a ship
>> 	istrDisplay = _("Bow")
>
> Ooh interesting, not bumped into this need myself yet, but (as a cheat) it strikes me that gettext is using the given strings as IDs for its string lookups so you could replace your strings with _("Arrow|Bow") and _("Ship|Bow"), then make sure the pot file actually has the correct Bow msgstr set. I think though what your really looking for is context support but have not tinkered other than a few min googling:
>

> Just to make sure I understand your solution, if the activity is run in an untranslated language, won't "Arrow|Bow" be displayed?

Yes. However I was thinking that you could go create/edit the po/en.po file and add in those string corrections, then run './setup build' to generate the locale .mo files. I've just tested here, I guess making sure you have a clear comment so the translators are not too confused by this approach would be the critical step.

FWIW in case you are using a Soas image, './setup build' is giving me a nasty traceback on two different images (Mirabell and a recent F14 beta build). Worked just fine in the latest official 852 build from OLPC on an XO-1. Was just going to give a dextrose XO-1 build a go as well, but am away from home and net connection is slow here, will be tomorrow before I can test that.

Regards,
--Gary